Friday, October 21, 2011

Dad's Garden in Amesville, Ohio

When Jenny and Keila and I ended up arriving in Amesville, Ohio at the end of March, right as spring began, there were at least two advantages. We got to experience a southeastern Ohio spring in all its glory, and I got to get into Dad's garden at the very beginning, and help see it through to the harvest. It was good to be working with the soil, and good to help produce our own food, for the house. And it was especially great to be able to get Keila involved--whenever I could convince her to work with me, which wasn't all that often. But you have to start wherever you can when you're forming a future farmer.

Weeding and hoeing, I felt like I was being true to my vocation. But just as importantly, I felt I could look my fellow crew members in the eyes when I got back to Haiti.

Jenny took all of these photos.

Two varieties of sweet corn, one earlier and one later. The later variety was better tasting and more productive. I learned a lot gardening in Ohio this year. Among other things, it is so much easier to get a decent crop in the temperate zone. The heat and humidity of Nicaragua and Haiti during the wet season make a huge difference. Oh my, do they ever. Crops have to be tough tough to make it here in Haiti. Which is one reason, at least, no one here in Haiti as ever heard of "sweet" corn.



Keila exploring the rhubarb.



Bed of beets, carrots, broccoli and tomatos. The cabbages and cauliflower succumbed to the heat wave of July

Dad planted the beets, but I did the weeding and I fertilized them--with organic compost, of course.


Beets, tomatoes and potatoes. Mom and Dad both said the potato crop was particularly good this year.


Tomatoes!!


The wheelbarrow ride is is the best part of gardening.

Asparagus and rhubarb, potates, green beans, beets, cucumbers and potatoes. I realized once again and now, I think, for always, how important it truly is to know where your food comes from. I believe that producing your own food, or some part of it, is part of the calling that God has for every single one of us. It's part of what we call food sovereignty, and that is what MPP here in Haiti is about.

No comments:

Search This Blog